Sunday, June 8, 2008

Tick

Allyson woke up on Friday morning, and I found this tick on her Rt shoulder blade. I was not able to brush it off, so being the nurse, I was calm and worked at getting it off - WRONG!
I called Broc and drove to his work and had him help me. After trying to use a hot match, we were able to kill it, but not get it out. We then called the dr's office and they said that you are no longer supposed to use matches or alcohol to get them out - but rather just take a tweezers and pull it straight out - getting as close to the head as possible.
Allyson says - "it was a tick and he bited me on the arm. My dad took it out and put his band-aid on my arm."


1 comment:

Carey said...

I hate to say it...but with dogs, cats, long grass on the farm, and kids...this won't be your last tick!

I've removed many. And then felt itchy for the rest of the day! Yuck. I've done a little research and it takes a tick almost 48 hours to trasmit lime disease (which is not common in our area). So if it isn't swollen, no problems, just icky! I definately recommend Frontline for the dogs if you haven't used it already...expensive but so worth it! It helps keeep ticks off us too cuz the dogs don't transfer them to us!